Saturday, August 29, 2009
Happy 50th To My Mom
Today my mom would have been 50 years old! The last big post I did about my mom was on the 10 year anniversary of her death. I think that her 50th birthday deserves to be remembered also. My mom was an amazing person - full of laughter and fun! I think she would have welcomed her 50th birthday and partied the night away with everyone! I know the phrase "I wish" is pointless - but I wish we could throw her that party! My aunt wrote a fabulous post about my mom - you should check it out - www.carrollcompany.blogspot.com.
A few more memories of my mom:
*Does anyone remember the tan van? =) It was a beauty. We drove it up to Utah one summer and the ac broke. She spent the trip rubbing cold water on our arms and our legs. It's just a little memory but I love it. I don't know if it was on that same trip but one time as we were driving she saw wheat (I think) growing wild and we pulled over so that she could pick some to use in her wall decor. I always want to pull over and do cool spontaneous things but I never do! I need to be more like her.
* When my mom was pregnant with Joseph she went into the hospital a couple times at the end and they sent her home. Well - she really wanted to have him so we went on a walk one night and when we got to the corner she had an attack of IPC's as she called it. Involuntary poop contractions! She was walking around on her tippie toes in circles trying to hold it in and I about died because I was laughing so hard!
* My mom saw The God's Must Be Crazy 2 at the dollar theater over and over. She thought it was hilarious!
* When I turned 12 there was a special night at our church and all the parents got a turn to get up and talk about their daughter. She cried the whole time she talked about me.! I don't remember if she cried on my first day of kindergarten but I do know that she cried when she sent me off to girl's camp for my first time. Now I know why she was crying because I get like that when I talk/think about my kids!
* She could laugh with anyone. One time we were driving along and there were some teenage boys next to us. The kid driving stalled big time and my mom died laughing. The boys looked at her and started laughing and we were all laughing and then she waved at them and we all went our separate ways. She could make friends with anyone anywhere!
* When my mom found out she had cancer I was at a youth conference. A man in our ward asked me about it when we got home (I hadn't seen my parents yet). He didn't realize that I hadn't been told yet. Anyway - I was shocked to say the least! When we got home my parents brought us all to their room to talk about what was going on and what the treatments were going to be like. Everyone left and I laid next to her crying(which was rare because I wasn't a touchy feely lovey girl). She told me that she worried about me most of all because I didn't talk to people about what I was feeling. She used to do crazy things to get me to say I LOVE YOU. I was just so shy about it. I think her saying that made me realize that I need to be more open. I don't have a problem saying I love you anymore and I am SO glad!
Those are just a few more glimpses of my mom! I love her. I'm so grateful for the life she lived and that I was able to have her in mine - even if it was only for 15 years. Happy Birthday Mom!!